The Council wish to express their indebtedness to A. Lucas Esq., for his historical note on Cairo, to the support of the various advertisers, and to those members of the Forces and of the Civilian Community who have assisted in the production of this guide-book.
The General Officer Commanding -in -Chief would like to take this opportunity of expressing his appreciation and thanks to the various Philanthropic organisations and to their representatives in Egypt who have so ably and generously assisted in the work of welfare, to the British Chamber of Commerce for their invaluable assistance in the collection of the British War Fund and also to the numerous members of the Civilian Community who have subscribed to the Fund and have devoted so much tome and energy to the well-being of the troops stationed in this country.
| Cairo, which is the capital of Egypt, has a population of 1,307,422 (Census 1937) and is by far the largest and most important town in Africa. It is the residence of the King and the seat of the government.
The Beginning of Cairo was a small residential place, which was situated where what is now known as Old Cairo stands. The Greeks called it Babylon, though it had no connection with the more ancient Babylon on the Euphrates. The Romans fortified it and under the Emperor Augustus it became the headquarters of one of the three Roman legions stationed in Egypt. Parts of the walls and two of the bastions of the fortress still remain, the latter adjoining the Coptic Museum, and the Coptic church of El Muallaqa, next to the Museum, is built on the east tower of the south gate of the fortress.
In A. D. 640 Babylon was capture by the Arabs under general Amr, and a new town called El Fustat, and a mosque, the Mosque of Amr, were built close by. Both the town and the original mosque have disappeared, the town having been burnt down about A. D. 750, but another mosque was built on the site of the old one, and still remains, bearing the some name. This has been enlarged and altered several times and is the oldest mosque in Cairo.
The town was never rebuilt, but a new town sprang up on the northeast and was extended from time to time, and slightly to the north of this in A. D. 969, the modern town of Cairo was founded. At the hour when the foundation of the walls was laid, the planet Mars, which the Arrives call El Qahir, of (the victorious), crossed the meridian of the new town, in consequence of which it was named "El Qahir", which has been corrupted to Cairo. The new town was a fortified enclosure containing two palaces government offices,
| quarters for the garrison, treasury, mint, library, arsenal and other buildings, and until 1171 no person was allowed to enter except the soldiers of the garrison and the highest officers of the state. Three of the original sixty gates of the ancient town still remain, namely the Bab el Naar, the Bab el Futuh and the Bab el Zuwella.
The Bab el Zuwella, which was the southern gate of the town, is mentioned twice in "The Arabian Nights Entertainment's", and is now called the Bab el Mutawelli, after a certain Mohammedan saint, who is supposed to live behind it. and on the gate hang bits of cloth and other votive offerings placed there by sufferers, who still frequent the gate in hope of cure. Persons afflicted with headache drive a nail into the door to take away the pain, and those suffering from toothache extract a tooth and fix it in a crack in the door to ensure their not being attacked again.
The Bab el Nasr, or the gate of "Gate of Victory", and the Bab el Futuh, of "Gate of Conquests", which are close together, formed the north-east extremity of the old fortifications. They each consist of two massive towers, with outer and inner gates, and chambers between, and one can ascend a winding staircase in the east gate-tower of the Bab el Nasr, then walk along the old wall, the el Futuh, beyond which the wall is continued for some distance. The towers and the wall provided a strong position for Napoleon's troops in 1799 and the names of some of his aides-de-camp may still be seen inscribed on the walls.
The Citadel, on account of its age and history, is one of the most important buildings of Cairo, and , because of its commanding position on the Moqattom hills, it is the most prominent. It was begun in 1176 by Sultan Salag el Din, commonly called Saladin, shom King Richard I of England defeated during the Third Crusade at Arsoof near Jaffa in Palestine in 1191. According to the accounts of the Arab historians, the citadel was built with stones taken from the smaller pyramids at Giza. A large part of the original structure remains. Within the citadel enclosure is the alabaster mosque of Mohammed
| Ali which was finished in 1867, and restored very recently. From the south-west corner, behind the mosque, a very fine and extensive view of Cairo and the surrounding country may be obtained, and the sunset seen behind the pyramids is particularly beautiful.
A gun on the hill behind the citadel is fired daily at noon by an electric current from the observatory at Helwan.
The well outside the citadel, called Joseph's well and generally attributed to the Biblical Joseph, was probably sunk by Sultan Salah el Din (Saladin) whose name was Jusuf (Joseph), to supply the citadel with water before the aqueduct was built. It is a square shaft with a spiral passage round it, sunk to a depth of 290 feet in the limestone rock. Within the shaft, at a depth of 155 feet, is a platform on which stood a saqiya (water wheel). The saqiya was worked by oxen and brought the water to the surface. The well is not now used.
In connection with the citadel the ancient aqueduct made to supply the fortress with water, may be described. The beginning of it near the river may be seen from the Old Cairo road (Sharia Kasr el Aini road) not far from the turning to the Abbas bridge. It was built by Sultan Mohammed el Nasir in 1311 though formerly ascribed to Salah el Din, and was restored by Sultan el Ghuri (1501-1516).
The most important mosque is that of El Azhar, which was built in 971 and was created a university in 988. It has been much added to and restored from time to time and is the largest and most important Mohammedan university in the world, students coming to it from most Mohammedan countries. In 1926-1927 there were 246 teachers and 4838 students, of whom 700 were non-Egyptian. Instruction is free, and money is also provided for food. The students live at the university.
ccThere are about fifty ancient mosques in Cairo and several hundred altogether, which naturally, cannot all be described, but two prominent ones are those of Sultan Hasah (1356-1363) and El Rifai (completed in 1912) which are situated opposite one another on the road leading up to the citadel from the centre of Cairo. The El Rifai mosque contains the tomb of the Khedive Ismail
| and that of King Fuad. On Roda island opposite the beginning of Old Cairo, is the Nilometer, or Nile Gauge, erected in 716, which consists of a well with a graduated column in the centre, on which the height of the Nile is measured. It has been restored several times, once quite recently.
The ancient Christian (Coptic) churches are at Old Cairo and include those of El Muallaqa, Abu Sarga, St Burbara and St. Markurius, the two first mentioned being will worth a visit.
What ate often called "The Dead Cities", but which should be "The Cities of the Dead", as they are not and never were inhabited, are the mosque-tombs of the Arab rulers of Egypt during the Middle Ages, and they comprise the Tombs of The Caliphs and the Tombs of the Mamelukes, both situated near the citadel, the former to the north and the latter to the south. Some of these have been restored in modern times.
Although, as will be realized from the foregoing not, Cairo dates back about a thousand years, many of the ancient Egyptian remains in the neighbourhood are several times that age. Thus the step pyramid at Sakkarakm which is the oldest large stone monument in the world, is about 5,000 years old as are also the adjoining temples; the large pyramid at Giza, that of Cheops, is about 4,850 years old and the second pyramid that of Chephren and the sphinx about 4,800 years old.
In order to make clear the size of the large pyramid at Giza, a few figures may be given. The pyramid covers an area of about thirteen acres; the original height was about 480 feet, it is estimated that the number of blocks of stone used was about 2,300,000 the average size of each being about forty cubic feet and their weight about two and a half tons. The greater part of the stone used for the pyramid is fossiliferous limestone cut from the plateau on which it stands, and the hollow nearby, where the sphinx is, is the quarry from which the stone was obtained. The pyramid was coated with a much finer quality of limestone, which was brought across the Nile from near Tura and Ma'sara, where the ancient quarries may still be seen. A large amount of coarse-grained red
| granite from Aswan, some 500 miles away, was used in the interior of the pyramid, especially for lining the burial chamber. The Greek traveler and historian, Herodotus, who visited Egypt in the fifth century B.C., states that all the stone for the pyramid was brought from across the Nile, and in this he was not so wrong as might be thought, since he only saw the outside covering, which did come from the other side of the river, but wince his time, the covering has been largely stripped off for use as building material in Cairo,-- this having been done many hundreds of years later, and Herodotus knew nothing of the inner stones that are now visible.
This pyramid, which contains nothing but an uninscribed and empty red granite sarcophagus, of which the lid is missing, provides an outstanding example of ancient tomb robbery, and there may be seen to-day, not only the robbed and empty sarcophagus, bur also both the proper entrance and, below it, the robbers' hole, which is now used as the entrance.
On the east side, adjoining the pyramid, there was originally a temple, of which nothing now remains except the basalt pavement, over which one walks to teach the sphinx.
The pyramid of Chephren was originally 471 feet high. Part of the casing remains at the top. Inside there is one chamber containing and empty granite sarcophagus, the lid of which is broken. The entrance passage is lined with granite for part of the way. The remains of the temple still exist on the east side.
The third Giza pyramid, that of Mycerinus, is much smaller than the other two. The upper part of the casing was limestone and the lower part, much of which still remains, of red granite. The sarcophagus was lost at sea on its way to England. The remains of the temple are on the east side.
The sphinx is a colossal recumbent lion with the head of Chephren and is of the same age as the second pyramid.
The so-called Temple of the Sphinx was an elaborate entrance to the causeway leading up to the temple and pyramid of Chephren.
| The modern village of Mitrahineh marks the site of one of the oldest, most famous and most populous towns of ancient Egypt, and one that was the capital of the country for many centuries, namely Memphis. It attained its greatest prosperity under the pharaohs of the Old Kingdom, but even under the Middle and New Kingdoms, when Thebes became the capital, and the Theban god Amun-Ra superseded Ptah, the great god of Memphis, the old capital still flourished. During the course of the contests for the possession of Egypt, Memphis was captured in 745 B. C. by the Sudanese king Piankhi, whose capital was Napata near the Fourth Nile Cataract, and later, in 661 B. C. by the Assyrians, and still later, in 525 B. C. , by Cambyses the Persian conqueror of Egypt. About 460 B. C. Memphis was again besieged, this time by the Libyans, who revolted from the Persian domination, but was not captured. Even after the Roman occupation of Egypt, which began in 30 B. C., Memphis remained a large and populous city, though its palaces lay ruined and deserted, and a number of temples still existed, including that of Ptah. Now the ruins of this temple, the debris of a palace of Meneptah (1225-1215 B. C.), an alabaster sphinx (18th or 19th Dynasty) and two colossal statues of Ramses II (1292-1225 B. C. are all that remain. The pyramids and tombs of Sakkara are the cemetery of the ancient Memphis.
The step pyramid has already been mentioned. It is about 5,000 years old and is the oldest large stone monument in the world. It was the burial place of the pharaoh Zoser, who built it. A few years ago, in a gallery in this pyramid there were found some 30,000 beautiful stone vases, which have been estimated to weigh about ninety tons. Also, there was found the remains of a six-ply wood coffin, probably that of a daughter of Zoser. The different layers making the thickness of the coffin were pegged together with wooden pegs, the various layers of wood being arranged with the grain of the wood alternately in different directions, in order to prevent warping and to give strength, exactly as is done to-day. At the bottom corners of the coffin, the edges of the five outermost layers were beveled at an angle of 45, that is to say, the joints were mitred, but the innermost layer had square, or butt joints.
| The most interesting tombs at Sakkara are of the Fifth Dynasty (2750-2625 B. C.) and of the Sixth Dynasty (2625-2475 B. C.), the finest work being in those of Ti and Ptahhotep, both Fifth Dynasty, but those of Mera and Kagemna of the Sixth Dynasty, but those of Mera and Kagemna of the sixth Dynasty are equally interesting, though not of the same artistic merit.
The last monument of Sakkara to be mentioned, the Serapeumn or the tombs of the sacred bull Apis, belong to a period do much later than the step pyramids and the Old Kingdom tombs, a period of more than 2,000 years, that it is difficult to grasp the fact that the interval between the building of the step pyramid and that of the Serapeum and the present day.
Although the Apis bulls had been buried in the Serapeum as early as the Eighteenth Dynasty (1580-1350 B. C.), it was not until the Twenty-sixth Dynasty (663-525 B. C.) that the huge stone sarcophagi were made, some of the stone having been brought from Aswan, about 500 miles away.
To the north-east of Cairo, near Matariya, are a few ruins and a standing obelisk, which are all that are left of the ancient city of Heliopolis, the famous "city of the sun" called on by the Egyptians. This was one of the most ancient Egyptian cities and for a time long before Memphis was built, was the capital and it remained for centuries the religious and intellectual centre of the country. The Biblical Joseph married a daughter of Potiphera priest of On.
The obelisk, which is in its original position, dates from the reign of Sesostris I (1980-1935 B. C.), the top being originally covered with metal, possibly copper gilt. Two other obelisks from Heliopolis were removed to Alexandria and erected there by the Romans in 23 B. C. One of these, which was given to the British Government by the Khedive Mohammed Ali is, now on the Thames Embankment in London, and the other, given by the Khedive Ismailto New York, is now in the Central Park there.
IMPERIAL SERVICES INFORMATION BUREAU
Y. M. C. A. INFORMATION BUREAU
ENQUIRY BUREAU FOR M.E. FORCES
The object of the bureau is:-
S.S.A.F.A. Enquiry Bureau,
Application may also be made to Welfare Officers, Chaplains, etc. This service is open to all members of the Middle East Forces.
ARRANGEMENTS FOR ACCOMMODATION
CLUBS AND HOSTELS
4.30 p.m.- 6.0 p.m. Teas may be obtained in the Hall at usual Club prices.
7.30 p.m. -10.0 p.m. The Hall is open to the congregation after the Evening Service. Refreshments are provided by the Hall Committee and at 8.30 p.m. there is a concert or lecture.
8.0 p.m. -10.30 p.m. The Hall is open to members of H.M. Forces when refreshments may be obtained and at 9 p.m. there is a concert or lecture.
8.30 p.m. -10.0 p.m. meeting of the Cathedral Fellowship. Particulars of the Fellowship may be found on the table in the Cathedral.
8.30 p.m. -11.30 p.m. Dance, Open to all members of the Forces in uniform, Others by special invitation.
This is the largest Club of its kind in Cairo. A few hundred yards from the Empire Service Club, it is situated the main
| road form Cairo main station to the Opera Square. ( the design of the exterior is dignified and it is easy to find.)
Although the club presents the usual Club amenities, such as Bars, a Restaurant, Milk Bar, Tea-Garden, and Roof-Garden, it is unique in having four Billiard Tables and a large open-air Cinema, capable of accommodating from fifteen hundred to two thousand persons and adaptable for other entertainments. A full cinema entertainment with stage attractions during the interval is given every night of the week at 8.30 p.m. and details can be obtained from the advertisements in the local British papers. Civilians are admitted to the cinema if accompanied by members of H. B. M. Forces in uniform.
In the tea-garden, laid out with flower-beds and creepers, is a dance floor and orchestra stage. The club orchestra play every afternoon from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
There are also rooms specially reserved for W. O.'s and N. C. O.s, one containing a bar, and the other fitted out as a reading and writing room.
A dragoman is in attendance at the a Club and tours to places of interest may be arranged.
EMPIRE SERVICES CLUB
1. Shops for cigarettes, soap, toilet articles, note paper, etc. Films may be left for development and damaged clothing for repair, Articles of local manufacture, suitable for gifts can be bought, and the gifts, when chosen are packed and despatched for the donor.
2. Milk bar, counter for sweets and cakes, bar and restaurant served by a first-class cook and good waiters. Varied and wholesome meals are provided.
| 3. A library, barber's shop, hot showers and writing room.
4. An orchestra which plays every night. On Tuesdays the Continental Cabaret give a show at 6 o'clock, on Wednesdays there is a Military Band and on Thursdays an illusionist. Darts and ping-pong are provided. A dragoman is in attendance and tours to places of interest may be arranged.
Hibbert House, Cairo, is a hostel. It is situated at No. 5, Chareh Cherif, 3rd floor, between Marconi and the Bourse.
It offers leave or transit accomadation for men, with bed, breakfast, shower and morning tea at a low charge. Tea and other light refreshments may be had at other times of the day.
Club facilities -- Reading and writing room, lounge, piano, books and other amenities -- are also provided, and all members of the Forces, whether resident or not, are welcome to use them.
A special dragoman waits every day to conduct residents to places of interest in and about Cairo, at strictly inclusive and reasonable prices.
The hostel Chapel is available to all for personal devotion. Its use for more formal worship is open to any denomination by arrangement. Daily Prayers are held and Sunday Services conducted.
CHAPLAINS OR WARDENS-IN-CHARGE; Rev. Griffith J. Sparham, Rev. Walter Bone,
INDIAN SOLDIERS' CLUB-CAIRO
JEWISH WELFARE COMMITEE FOR SAILORS,
"MUSIC FOR ALL"
A Trio plays daily from 12-1 p.m. and from 4-5 p.m. and there is a Concert of first-class music every evening at 9:15 p.m. till 10:15 p.m.
There will be a reading Room, and Ladies Room and there will also be a first class Restaurant run by Goppi. Teas and light refreshments are sserved in the Music Room.
An Entrance fee to the Centre of 3 P.T. is charged- this is the only fee charged. Each member of the Forces may bring on civilian guest - lady or gentleman. A Pass Out ticket for members of the Forces may be obtained.
NEW ZEALAND FORCES CLUB
Dining rooms for officers, N.C.O.'s and men, Hostelries for officers and men (Charge P.T. 10 for bed, soap, towel and bath). Canteen with N.Z. specialities, Beer, bar. Reading, writing and games rooms. Officers' bar, Hot and cold showers. Padre in attendance (18.00 hrs-20.00 hrs.). Nurses' quarters, Barber's shop.
Hosteiry office open all night.
OSBORNE HOUSE JUNIOR OFFICERS CLUB
This club provides accommodation for officers on leave up to 14 days. Prices of bed and breadfast and meals are low. Every effort is made to entertain the junior officer and to make him comfortable. Dances are held twice weekly and the bar is open daily during licence hours. The club is open only to officers and civilians accompanied by officers, including nurses, A.T.S. and M.T.C. Commissioned Officers.
RED SHIELD HOSTEL
SALVATION ARMY - OPEN DAY AND NIGHT
Red Sheild Hostels are under the auspices of the Salvation Army.
Entrance opposite Sednaoui's in Midan Kkazindar.
Founded 1883.- Telephone 52868
Open 9 a.m.-11 p.m.
(Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11.30 p.m.)
There is a spacious dance hall, where dances are held on Thursdays and Saturdays. Members of H.M. Forces are Invited to bring their lady friends. Entrance fee: Gents P.T. 3 - Ladies free.
A Garden Kiosk run by Lady Voluntary Workers, where soft drinks, Ice cream, cold lunches and sandwiches are sold at popular prices.
Tennis courts the use of which is P.T. 6 per person per diem.
In addition to the above a Band Concert or other entertainment is held in the garden on Tuesdays, Fridays and sometimes on Sundays.
There is limited sleeping accommodation - eight beds - and the charge is P.T. 10 per bed and breakfast.
| to the library from time to time. There are comfortable reading rooms where man can read quietly and undisturbed. The Library is not open to officers. Information and advice can be obtained from the Librarians.
Other activities of the Library include talks, discussions and debates. There are photographic and play-dramatic sections and music, art, chess and modern language groups have been formed.
The Victory Tea Rooms occupy the ground floor and provide light refreshments in comfortable conditions. There is an attractive rest room in the basement as well as writing rooms.
SOUTH AFRICAN OFFICERS CLUB
SOUTH AFRICAN WOMEN'S SERVICES CLUB
SPRINGBOK CLUB - CAIRO
A Club for Springboks - men and women - providing an atmosphere of real homeliness.
SPRINGBOK CLUB - -HELWAN
A sports culb. There is an eighteen hole golf course with two tennis courts attached to the club-house. Golf clubs, rackets and shoes provided. A shower has been erected for "after the game." Light refreshments are available at low prices.
SOLDIERS' AND AIRMEN'S HOME, HELMAN
This club provides facilities for recreation, which include writting, reading, games and rest-rooms. Refreshments are served in pleasant surroundings.
TIPPERARY TEA CLUB
The club is above Creco's shop, at the corner of Sharia lbrahim Pasha, opposite Ezbekieh Gardens entrance.
Y.M.C.A. GRESHAM COURT
SITUATION, - Gresham Court Y.M.C.A. is situated in an open Court and Garden near Soliman Midan. Centrally placed, this open-air setting, with its various facilities, is intended as a focal point, a Town Club, for all members of H.M. Forces.
Y.M.C.A. SERVICES CLUB
This club, provided by the generosity of the Maharajah of Dharbanga, is for the use of women of all ranks in the Services. The club house is a famous old villa and contains lounges, library, concert chamber, rest and changing rooms, tea rooms (indoors or on terrace or in the garden) and an information bureau. There
| will be several emergency beds available, but the club is not considered a residential one. Good sleeping accommodation is provided on the Nile steamer (Lotus).
Men friends of women using the club may be invited to use the public rooms, and a special convenience is a men's lounge and waiting room
There is no entrance fee. The recognised uniform of any unit in the Services will ensure a warm welcome to the Club.
The Hostess is Mrs. A. Taffy, late of Delhi and Simia.
The Club is also the Headquarters address of the British Y.W.C.A. War Services in the Middle East, Miss Jean Begg, Organiser.
The club includes a dining room for light refreshments, club room with two ping-pong tables and other games, and a library.
On Saturdays there is dance at 7.30 p.m. at a charge of P.T. 3 1/2.
On Sundays there is a short religious service at 9 p.m. Men may have their mending done free of charge.
BRITISH Y.W.C.A. WAR SERVICE
This residential club, provided by the generosity of the Maharajah of Dharbanga, is for the use of women of all ranks in the Service. The club house is a famous old villa and contains lounges, library, concert chamber, rest and changing rooms, tea rooms (indoors or on terrace or in the garden) and an information bureau. A tiny chapel affers an opportunity for quiet meditation.
The "Lotus", an attractive houseboat on the Nile, a residential club for womenof the Services providing 40 beds, ten single and fifteen double cabins, hot and cold water in each cabin. the "Lotus" is situated near No. 15 General Hospital Giza, and can be reached by 15 tramcar which goes to the Pyramids. A small boat when required takes guests across to the entrance of the Gazira Sporting Club. Hostess; Miss Ivah Perry.
SPORTS AND SPORTING CLUBS
FOREST HILLS TENNIS CLUB
For Sergeants on leave. Situated at the angle of Rue Waida Pasha and Rue Dar-Ei-Chifa, Garden City.
To All Soldiers and Sailors and Airmen of the British and Imperial Forces.
THE GEZIRA SPORTING CLUB
has set aside part of the Club ground, where you will find the green grass and shady trees a pleasant change, where you can watch regular Cricket matches, and take part yourself in
HELIOPOLIS SPORTING CLUB
1. The General Commitee of the Heliopolis Sporting Club has generously offered to open the club for the use of Military personnel every forenoon of the week up to 1 p.m., with the exception of Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and to provide facilities for the following:-
(a) TENNIS, - 5 Courts, (Rackets and balls must be provided by the players. The club will provide ball boys for tennis free of charge).
2. Personnel taking advantage of this privilege must be in possession of a pass which, in the case of Abbassia personnel, will be drawn from the Office of the Garrison Adjutant, Abbassia, between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m., on the day which it is proposed to visit the club. In the case of Helmish and Almaza, a block allotment of passes will be issued to the Garrison Adjutants of those station, who will arrange to issue to personnel requiring them, maintaining a record of to whom each pass is issued.
MAADI SPORTING CLUB
The Committee allow Other Ranks the use of the Club's Tennis Court on any day during the week and this privilege is largely being used by the troops stationed around Maadi. The Golf Course is also poen to other ranks with a handicap of 12 or under on payment of a small feee, and some members have kindly ;laced their sets of clubs at the disposal of players. On Wednesday afternoons the Bowling Green is allotted to players other than Officers, and the 3 Squash Courts may be used during the week at a nominal fee.
GEZIRA SPORTING Club holds a race meeting every Saturday during the season.
The Cairo Yacht Club during the season conducts races for Other Ranks. It makes available a certain number of club boats and any yachtsman who is qualified can share in this activity.
TOURS AND EXCURSIONS
TOURS ORGANISED BY THE EMPIRE AND EMPIRE
|Tram||P.T. 8 per person ( 5 persons).|
|Coach||P.T. 12 per person (30 persons).|
|Private Car||P.T. 23 per person ( 4 persons).|
|Tram||P.T. 7 per person ( 5 persons).|
|Coach||P.T. 10 per person (30 persons).|
|Private Car||P.T. 23 per person ( 4 persons).|
|Coach||P.T. 15 per person (30 persons).|
|Private Car||P.T. 28 per person ( 4 persons).|
|Coach||P.T. 15 per person (30 persons).|
|Private Car||P.T. 23 per person ( 4 persons).|
|P.T. 35 per person (35 persons).|
|Tram||P.T. 7 per person ( 5 persons).|
|Coach||P.T. 10 per person (30 persons).|
|Private Car||P.T. 23 per person ( 4 persons).|
To join any of these tours hand in your name at the Empire Club. Ibrahim Pasha St. or at the Empire Services Club 189 Emad el Dine. The tours start from both these clubs.
The above fares include first class services and every party will be escorted by a reliable guide who is attached to these Clubs.
All fares and tips are included in the amounts shewn above.
The approximate number of persons required to form a party for each class of locomotion has been shewn in
| brackets above, but it is left to the descretion of the guide whether he can take parties composed of fewer persons.
If any further information is required the Club guides will be glad to supply same.
If any difficulty is encountered or you have any commplaints to make please communicate with the Manager of the Club.
TOURS ORGANISED BY Y.M.C.A:
Fares:- By motor car 5 persons P.T. 20 each person.
Fares:- By motor car 5 persons P.T. 20 each person.
By motor car, 5 persons, P.T. 40 per person.
Sundays Only: - 30 P.T. each person, starting at 9.30 a.m.
Every Tuesday and Saturday. Leave Y.M.C.A. 22 Soliman Pasha St. at 9.30 a.m.
Fare: - P.T. 35 each person, inclueding lunch,
It is possible to make the following visits independently. Prices given are approximate and are intended as a guide only. Car prices quoted are for cars in good condition and with properly qualified drivers.
2. By tram to the Citadel, the Alabaster Mosque, the Sultan Hussein Mosque, and the Blue Mosque.
Tram N0. 13 or 23 from Midan Malika Farida.
Fare:-6mm. each way 1st class
A guide is advisable when visiting mosques, and P.T. 1 must be paid for the use of slippers.
RAILWAY MUSEUM, Cairo Central Station:- Daily except Monday. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and 3 p.m.-6 p.m. admission P.T. 2
CHURCHES OF ENGLAND
ALL SAINTS CATHEDRAL. Rue Maspero.
The Clergy will be At Home to members of the congregation in the Cathedral Hall after the evening service.
CHURCHES OF SCOTLAND
SAINT ANDREW'S CHURCH. 38, Sharia Fouad el Awal.
SAINT JOHN'S METHODIST CHURCH, CAIRO
39, Sh, Fuad el Awal (near Abu.el-Ela Railway crossing)
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
ST. JOSEPH CHURCH Sharia Emad el Dine.
Sunday Masses: 6.00 a.m.; 7.00 a.m.; 8.00 a.m.; 9.00 a.m.; 10.00 a.m.; 11 a.m.; 12.00 noon.
GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH
ST. CONSTANTIN CHURCH Sharia Teraa el Bouiakieh
SYNAGOGUE of Adly Pasha.
Service on Saturday from 9 a.m.
Sevice on Friday from 5.30 p.m.
Amenities for troops in Abbassia Garrison include the following:-
TALBOT HOUSE - TOC H
(Directly opposite National Hotel and "Bystander" Bar).
All-Services club and Hostel,
Lounges, Reading and Writing rooms, Dining Hall, Chapel and a hostel of 65 beds are continuously open.
Toc H Meetings for members, their guests and friends are held every Tuesday evening at 8.30 p.m.
Tariff: Bed and Breakfast 15 piastres, Lunch and Dinner 10 piastres, Afternoon Tea 4 piastres.
FOR SENIOR N.C.O.'s only.
Senior N.C.O.'s may bring one non-commissioned Member of the Women's Auxiliary Forces. (A.T.S., etc.)
Meals and refreshments can be obtained at reasonable prices - Snack Bar.
HELIOPOLIS SERVICE CLUB
In addition, Tomboias, Whist Drives, darts Competitions and Table Tennis. Competitions are held every evening at 8 p.m.
POSTAGE RATES - EGYPT
The most important rates of postage are shown below; further details of rates not included here, can be obtained at the Army Post Offices.
TAXI CAB TARIFF
Large Taxis For Taxis authorized to carry 6 or more persons:
GRATUITIES OR TIPS
In Hotels, Restaurants, cafes, Cabarets and Bars where a charge has not been added tothe bill a maximum tip of 10% should be given tothe waiter.
It is also customary but not necessary to tip the cab or taxi driver as follows:-
From P.T. 10-20, P.T. 1.
Station porters, one package P.T. 1
|©copyright 2000, warlinks.com all right reserved|