H.M.S. Newark 908 (ex. USS Ringgold, DD89)
Town Class Destroyer one of the fifty ships acquired from the united states in late 1940 for lease/lend base's in Britain. Commissioned H.M.S. Newark on the 5-12-1940, she was in collision with another town class destroyer H.M.S. Newmarket on route to Britain. She had to be repaired from 19-12-1940 to 29-1-1941.
After finally sailing for Devonport, she broke down in heavy weather and had to be towed back to St. John's. She reached Devonport on 9-3-1941 for refit on the 10-4-1941 (or 17-4-1941, the date is in question).
She was in collision again when she rammed H.M.S. Volunteer, a W-class Destroyer some 80 miles off the coast of Ireland in teh western approaches. Both ships were taken to Belfast for repair arriving the next day. Newark under went hull repairs, but further damaged in heavy air raids on Belfast 4/5-5-1941 (the Belfast Blitz). She did not enter operational service until 15-8-1941, joining the 17th Destroyer Division attached to the 1st Mine Laying Squadron at Kyle of lochalsh.
Paid off to reserve in July 1945, broken up at Bo'Ness Scotland 1947.